Questions about how you can protect your family from germs and this villain virus have been on everyone's minds as we bring things from the outside world into our safe homes.
In addition to the regular precautions that everyone needs to be taking by washing hands really well before and after handling anything and everything, we thought we would share a very simple DYI recipe for washing your produce once you get it home.
This recipe doesn't call for a bunch of fancy ingredients and hopefully includes things you already have on hand.
I find the best time to do this is right when I get home from the grocery store (especially now). Once all of the groceries are loaded inside, before I even begin to unpack them I make this simple wash so my produce can soak while I put everything else away.
Once you have washed all your fruit and vegetables you are ready to meal prep or snack for the week. It takes one additional step off of your dinner prep and gets you one step closer to a healthy and safe meal on your table.
Directions for DYI Fruit and Veggie Wash
- Ensure you are using a very clean sink. Or if you prefer, you can use a large clean bucket.
- Fill a sink halfway with lukewarm water.
- Add 1 cup of white vinegar.
- Add your fruit. Making sure not to overfill your sink with fruit.
- Soak for about 10 minutes (shorter for berries – about 2 – 5 minutes).
- Rinse well.
- Dry and enjoy. Or put in the fridge or fruit basket for later.
How do I know when the fruit is clean? Simple, the water will most likely be dirty, and the apples may have a white sheen left on them after the wax has dissolved off.
Make sure to rinse well. If washing ahead of time you can use a mild soap and water on fruit before eating.
* This is a general produce wash recipe. In addition to this we suggest using mild and soap and water if you are wanting to specifically target Covid 19.